Thursday, July 16, 2015

Remembering


“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” – Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

When I prepping and planning my posts for the week this past Sunday there was one thing that came to my mind what today's post was going to be. Sure I gave shout out on Fail Day, but for a man who gave so much to the industry that I know and love it wasn't enough. He built his life on being a gamer. He started as a programmer and always wanted to program games he wanted to play. He wanted the public to enjoy them as much as he did. He was quick with ideas about what to bring to the table and give the public something they wouldn't only enjoy that day they brought it home but years from then.

Without him I never would have got to play things like Dragon Warrior, Super Smash Bros, and Earthbound. Games that to this day have stood the test of time. Without him we wouldn't be having those family tournaments playing Wii Sports or those drunken nights with our friends making idiots of ourselves doing the same thing.

He was also open to the public and wanted them to be involved in the process. He wanted them to feel appreciated for being fans. He even took a paycut in order to show not only the public, but the company himself how passionate he was about what they were doing. There probably never will be another like him and the world is a sadder place without him.

/cheers

1 comment:

  1. You know I really didn't know how much we was involved in everything till the last few days. Really was an amazing man

    ReplyDelete