Sunday, January 3, 2010

Socket Humpers Have Serious Issues

So I got this email I am going to share with you all.

Dear Mr I Know More Than Everyone,

First off your theory on socketing gems is completely wrong. Do you think blizzard gives socket bonuses for no reason? Of course not! They give them because they want you to get them. Sure the gems are not always the best choice for you, but that's the point. You have to sacrifice to get it. Do you think Blizzard would make it easy to get bonuses? That would be stupid. I looked you up on armory all your gems are red besides a +10 stats gem. Why are you even using that stupid gem in the first place you're a warrior do you need the int and spr? Did I mention you are using an Agility meta and you're a warrior. Can you be even more of an idiot? Why people listen to you is beyond me. You are telling people how to gem and you don't even know how to do it yourself. Don't you think there is something seriously wrong here? Blizzard has employed people especially for this purpose. They think long and hard about the colors of the sockets and the gear they put out. You honestly think you know more than them? Just stop giving people horrible advice and maybe you can get some of the respect you have lost.

The person who knows how to gem

So first off besides this person being one of the most uninformed people I have ever received something from let's go over why hes completely wrong.
  • All melee classes have a red gem that is better for them beyond a shadow of a doubt. For myself it is ArP. I stack this gem.
  • Melee classes or physical classes in general(DPS) use the Agi and 3% meta because they can satisfy the meta with only one gem. This gem being the +10 stats. It counts as the red, blue, yellow. If you use the other meta you need 2 blue gems. This would mean you are forced to use ___ + 15 stam. This is a complete was for DPS.
  • Have you ever looked at socket bonuses for what you have to give up? Most of the time it doesn't add up. That being said there are times it does, but most of the time it doesn't. Especially when sockets are blue or yellow for DPS.
  • I agree the point of a socket bonus is to sacrifice in order to get. The problem is 90% of the time the ends don't justify the means. So matching a socket just to do the opposite of what I say is pretty stupid.

That is all for today. Please post comments on your opinions of socket humping I would be glad to hear them. Next Friday's reader post will be the choosing of my new Trade macro. Submit your suggestion and give me a little blurb why I should choose yours. As always entries will need to be in by Thursday night.

6 comments:

  1. Got to love special people

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how he says you know nothing and he is the one that looks like an idiot.

    -Boggle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously someone is trying to make a name for themselves too bad they are way wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In some cases and depending on where a player is in the gearing process, using those socket bonuses may make a difference (albeit small). This would be the case of getting extra defense in a socket bonus when you are very very close to being defense capped. However, at a certain point it becomes irrelevant as you progress. For my Holy Paladin, at the beginning, spell power was sooo important. I needed to be able to just have powerful spells. Slowly that changed to stacking crit, as I was consistently hitting a certain level of spell power. Now that I am at about 40% crit, it's time to now begin to stack intellect as I am getting into the fights that are extremely mana intensive. I need a big pool to keep healing. So I tend in the later part of endgame to not socket hump, but I will say there was a time when it was useful.

    I have also noticed that often when I really need two yellow sockets, as I get into the higher gear levels they often have the colors I would socket anyways, that is what I would socket as I would anyways and so I get the bonus by default.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA What an awesome email. From a genius, obviously.

    As a rogue, currently the only sockets I match, and only for good bonuses, are yellow, but with an orange AP/Haste gem, otherwise, it's AP with the single +10 gem. But before 3.3 and poison supremacy, it was same as all melee dps, straight red AGI or AP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would have made the email even more of a laugh was if the writer had said, "Do the math!" I so wanted him to say that, but it seems it might be implied.

    The one defense I have to use the socket bonuses is if it meshes with your play style. I understand that's not what uber guilds, such as Three Score, want you to do, but, for some of us, all the theory crafting and mathematics you throw at us about why you don't use this or that or stack this or that are wasted because that's not how we play or what we want our character to do.

    Before you jump all over me, consider that, for some of us, being able to be what we consider successful does not include hours spent at Elitist Jerks. Therein lies the beauty of the game. I can play my way, maximizing what I like about my class and my style of play, reading and using what I want to be successful under my standards. You can play, gem and spec your way and be happy and successful.

    I might have given the writer some credibility had he or she explained his or her reasoning. As it is, this is fail and something we can laugh at.

    --Gimmlette

    ReplyDelete