Sunday, October 6, 2013

Ask Gauss


Sunday! End of the weekend is upon us! I know I know it sucks but hey just think next weekend is a long weekend. Well if you are Canadian and have Thanksgiving at least, which I am and do so all is good in my books. Anyways it's Sunday so let's just get right into the Ask Gauss part of your day.

So Beyond Two Souls on Tuesday, are you ready?

This is a game I am truly excited for. This game hasn't got as much press as some other games, but it has the potential to be amazing. Everything I have seen and heard from it gives me no cause for complaints or concerns. I loved Heavy Rain and it looks that this game is going to be full of those same type of morality choices that made Heavy Rain what it was. Now as much as I say it is going to be a great game to play and I assume I am going to enjoy it to no end. I truly doubt it is going to be on the same level as The Last of Us but we shall only see.

Do you feel games should be scaled down because of the average persons computer?

This is an interesting question. In most cases I would no a game should never be worse just because they want more people to play it. Blizzard's approach to this problem I feel is one all gaming companies should employ. Sure it requires a different type of engine and more work for programmers but a game is not hindered based upon graphics abilities of low end machines. So it is possible. The drawback of the non Blizzard approach is this. Taken from the most recent SimCity blog.

After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We’ve tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn’t achieve it within the confines of the engine. We’ve chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance.

That to me may be the worst news in months maybe even years. A game that is so close to being great that they decide not to make it better because of the work needed to be put in. The fact is they would make less money for what they could get from it. Now SimCity looks amazing on my computer and I have seen what it looks like on low end machines. To scrap what everyone has been calling to because of the start because of graphical issues on low end machines though makes me sad and quite frankly pissed off.

If you are interested in the whole blow can see it here State of SimCity

Are PS4s still available for Pre-Order anywhere?

I truly doubt it.

There you go questions answered for the week. Hopefully something good came of answering them. Enjoy what is left of your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for beyond two souls either looks sweet. Maybe we will even get to Jason someone again.

    Those bastards at EA will do anything to make a buck. Is it really a surprise? They have DLC to their games day of release for god's sake

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about that blog is they said they have been listening to fans. The fans from the start have been asking for bigger maps and they just said we won't be getting it. Pure win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I saw The Source was still doing ps4 preorders I thought it was odd but it appeared to be true

    ReplyDelete