Monday, March 1, 2010

The Epic First Times

So we have been messing around with Sindragosa for a few weeks now, but I won't soon forget the first time she landed with everyone saying "SHE'S HUGE". This was one of the times where the first time you see a boss it was an extremely big deal. She owned us there mostly because we weren't expecting her to land right after we killed the two much smaller dragons. This got me thinking about the times where other bosses entrances were pretty epic the first time they happened. So here goes.

Ragnaros: First major End Boss in the game shooting up through the Lava. Was a site to see the first time it happened. TOO SOON!!!! Became this iconic flare that has stuck around for years.

Nefarion: When Nefarion Phase 2 happened and he breathed on the raid and landed in dragon form. There was nothing bigger boss wise in WoW. I don't know if he is bigger than Sindragosa maybe the memory of the first time seeing him land is still in my mind. "FACE THE TRUE LORD OF BLACKROCK SPIRE".

Ouro: One of the optional bosses in AQ40. You go into his room which was completely empty and wonder what to expect when....I giant earthworm comes out of nowhere! Ah yes I can still hear the "Oh Craps" from the first time it happened.

Illidan: Illidan didn't surprise anyone or anything like that he was there chilling with the skull and you could walk up to him and take your screenshots. But he is one of the biggest Lore characters in WoW and the first time he said "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" you listened and obviously you found out you weren't...

Kil'Jaeden: If Rag shooting up through the portal was something. KJ climbing through it was something much more. Ya the normal "Oh Crap" feeling to go along with the "Let's do this thing!"

Algalon: When the encounter goes into seizure mode you feel it. Videos just don't give it justice something you just have to see.

Arthas: Waiting on this one, should be awesome.

5 comments:

  1. I agree hearing Illidan the first time was pretty awesome although by the 100th time it started to piss me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching LK walk slowly down the stairs towards you at the beginning and realizing that you are about to attempt the end boss of this expansion was very exciting. Especially for me, seeing as how I only came into the game just before WoTLK came out.

    I knew he was going to spank us hard. And, he does. P2 Defile with everyone still stacking for the Valkyr's and watching the spell take over the whole plateau is a cool site. Insta wipe, but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time Nef yelled not gonna lie I knew I was going to get my ass kicked...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love to run into Ragnaros' lair with the sound cranked. I agree that his arrival is one of the best boss arrival's in the game. I remember being briefed on the strat, looking at Majordomo, whom we had just slapped around and wondering, "How hard can this be?" The raid leader said, "I don't want any talking now. Okay, start it up." You just sit there in your chair and this boss completely fills the screen, even if you're ranged. When we take people who have never done MC there, everyone is quiet for them. There's nothing like it.

    Onyxia was my and my guild's first raid experience. When we finally downed her, I felt that rush that told me, "Okay, so this is what raiding is all about." There have been lots of other bosses but that very first, "Damn, we can do this" rush hasn't come very often since. When we downed her post patch, I got that rush because she meant a lot to the guild.

    Nefarian's arrival. Yeah. Pour the pee out of your armor after that. We had arguments about whether he's bigger than his sister. He is. Can't wait to see how big Deathwing is.

    I also like the mechanic on Sapphiron. As the bones coalesce to form a dragon, there is a sense of foreboding. The fight isn't much but the graphic is cool.

    It's interesting that you have 3 bosses from Vanilla. We could spend hours debating whether they have lost their spark in designing end encounters as the game has expanded. Maybe it's our feeling that vanilla is the benchmark and everything had to live up to that. I have been kind of disappointed in some encounters. Raggy really doesn't do much. The end fight is just memorable because of his arrival. I'd like to see more of that, moments where you go, "Oh crap. Do I have enough arrows?"

    --Gimmlette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would add Kael from Tempest Keep, the event before Brutt in SWP, and when you hear Yogg say Madness will consume you it still gives me chills

    ReplyDelete